Mother Mary Says

Monday, December 05, 2005

The wisemen

As I was growing up I remember my brother singing the Christmas song slightly altered:
we three kings of orient are
Smoking on a rubber cigar
I didn't realize the silliness of it then and probably he has forgotten now.
This song was the center of our Christmas decorating on Saturday. Jon loves to celebrate Jesus' birth and goes all out. We have several nativity scenes and we love to get them out and display them.
A favorite of mine is a wooden one my Sister by love had made by someone at her church. We always put them on the piano and this year Jon added a garland of greenery to the set up. As I walked by, I did a double take. There was only one wise man. I asked what happened. Seems that the other two were having a problem with their heads. They needed to be reglued and Jon did not want to take time now, so he just reboxed them.
I went crazy.
" How can we only have one wise man? "
" Well we are, so get over it!"
"Listen to this: Who ever heard of 'we ONE king of orient are'....?"
" I am not putting them back."
"Well, I am not having only one king. We can put the other ones away too. Besides, they were not at the manger anyway- but came when Jesus was about two years old."
So we settled on a compromise. There are no wisemen in our display.
But real wisemen still seek Jesus today. Are you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home