Mother Mary Says

Friday, June 17, 2005

Customer service?

Have you ever called to get customer service and gotten more aggravated than you were before you called? Perhaps you are put on hold, only to be disconnected. Frankly, I think that that tactic is to cut down their workload. Or maybe you are number 10 holding with a wait time the length of a movie! Or my new favorite, the 'voice mail is full, call another time.'
Now, I would not have called if it was not urgent. I need my whatever serviced or resolved or whatever and I want it now. After all, isn't the name SERVICE? Doesn't that mean help,or useful labor? Can't be either if they do not even know my need. After all, it's about me.
Many times we treat prayer that way too. We see God as a customer service agent. As long as we get what we want in a timely manner, we are satisfied. We act as though here too, it is about us. Our true priorities show when we pray. Do we list what we want or, like Jesus, ask God what he wants? Do we remember that our lives are meant to revolve around His will, not vice versa.
Listen to yourself next time you pray. Remember that you are not on the phone with a customer service representative but talking to the King of the universe, offering to do his will, even when it's hard, or you have to wait longer than you want to.
And, unlike the CS rep, God does know what you need, before you ask and moves to meet that need, not put you on hold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home