Mother Mary Says

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Perfect?

I have this overwhelming need to be perfect. If you know me well , you will not be surprised to hear that! It shows up when I least expect and I am never glad to feel it. Yesterday it related to my computer. To say that I am in preschool as far as understanding my computer would be an understatement. My brother is a whiz, to say the least and both of my son-in-laws are too, as well as our girls. But I am always afraid I will break it, blow it up, lose the memory or something.
But to me, falls the task to maintaining it is good running order since Jon is a 'grade' behind me in this. Now, like the woman who cleans her house before the housekeeper arrives, I decided that yesterday I needed to do what I could before my son-in-law arrived to discover why it's running slow.
I had been getting an indecipherable note about my virus protection so decided to start there. Well, I searched the HELP stuff and tried what they said, but couldn't find the tab they referred to, etc. I could feel myself getting more and more uptight and ready to throw things. I am by nature a pacifist except in the case of computer problems. I have been know to jerk the printer around, for example and throw a real fit, though I declare that I do not froth at the mouth.
Back to yesterday. I decided to do an update on the virus protection and that actually worked, though it took an hour ! Then they suggested I run a scan so I did. But it did not finish until 2 :00. No problem, I was so upset about the whole thing that I wasn't sleeping.
The good news is that it did install correctly and I fixed that one problem. On a roll, I decided to do defrag too. It worked too!
Now what is the lesson I asked myself? I hear myself say to Buddy all the time, don't get yourself worked up for nothing. Or to say it in my grandson's language, 'Don't get your boxers in a bunch'. I guess for me, it is a case of 'do as I say but not as I do!'
God never wanted us to be perfect and in fact knew that we could never come close. He knows that I am frail and so treats me with compassion. Guess I had better treat me that way too. There are worse things than not knowing everything and being able to do everything perfectly.
Now I hope that my son-in-law doesn't find too many imperfect things that I have done!!! But if he does, I will remember that it's good to be reminded that I'm not perfect so I can stop trying to be. It is so tiring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home