Mother Mary Says

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Adult ADD

ADD is the buzz word of the educational system these days. I know at least one boy, who is dear to me ,that has been given this label. As I was surfing the net, I came across a list of symptoms for adults. They were eye opening:
Lack of focus( DUH!)
disorganized
restlessness
difficulty completing projects
losing things frequently
often loses track of time
chronic procrastinator
Underneath they added:
Frequent, involuntary wandering of attention.
There are many ideas on how to deal with ADD, not the least of which is a new group of drugs that give the brain a way to focus on what is important and filter out what are just background issues.
Many adults I know, even me at times, also struggle with lost focus. But the thought came to me, that there must be spiritual ADD too. I know so many friends who want to read the Bible but can't seem to get to it. Or they want to complete a Bible Study but begin only to find that they don't have the drive to finish. Or worse yet, they read the Bible but forget what they have read as soon as they close the cover. How about prayer. Many, including me, struggle with wandering attention when they begin to pray. I think about the chicken I forgot to take out for dinner, or the laundry I need to tend to. I am glad that God knows that we are frail and the relationship depends on Him, not my performance. He reaches out to me always, hears my heart when my words don't come and sends the Holy Spirit as my power source when I can't 'get it together'. That's way better than a pill and there are no bad side effects.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's not about ADD... it's about humanity and brushing over ourselves with a PILL>

    M.

    I have my own directions..... and I know my failures... I'm not taking a pill to fix being and adult. What would be the point of life? It's the journey, right?

     
  • At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Heb 4:15 reminds us that Jesus is able to sympathize with our weaknesses -- and His compassion and grace are the best medicine!

    R-

     
  • At 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ADD us real and many people suffer from going through life with it. The prison system is full of men with undiagnosed and untreated AD/HD. Not all people choose to take medication to manage their AD/HD.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home