Mother Mary Says

Monday, April 25, 2005

My rose bush

Two springs ago I ordered a rose bush online. It is Dr. Van Fleet, a southern favorite. It is a climber and can grow to 20 feet high and 20-30 feet wide. I planted it behind my fence and watched for it to drape over with it's lovely blossoms of soft pink that deepen to blush pink and even semi- red.
Well, no roses peeked over the fence. In fact, no roses grew at all. I was so disgusted but not wanting to waste the money spent and hating to 'kill' a living thing, I stuffed it in a pot and brought it to my patio, that fall. I pruned it as it grew last spring, severely at times. Well it made lovely leaves, lots of them But nary a rose. Jon wanted to ditch it or give it to Ruth 'the rose queen'. But again, I hated to face defeat.
Well, I am happy to report that this year, it is covered with lots of buds and the first one is about to open. I am so excited, and glad that I did not give up. Perhaps it needed a third chance.
God has given me second and third chances,too, over and over. I have a character defect( self-centeredness) that I hate and want so to change, but to no avail. In fact, the harder I try, the worse it seems to get. But God is the faithful, patient gardener and I am beginning to see a bud or two in that area of my life. Like I did to the rose bush, he has pruned and fertilized and waited and now there is a glimmer of hope that I will finally remember that life is not about me, but about God and others. Maybe someday someone can describe me as a vigorous thriving Christian, no longer stunted and lacking fruit.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, on the one hand, I am sorry not to have been able to add the good DR to my own bevy of roses, but on the other, I am glad that he finally decided to bloom for you!! It kind of makes him extra special to you, after all that angst and extra work!! Thank goodness Jesus is a more patient gardener than us!! :)

    Ruth

     

Post a Comment

<< Home