Mother Mary Says

Friday, August 03, 2007

So about Worry

Worry does not hang out with joy and peace. In fact, it robs you of both.
I had a gigantic attack of worry this week. It was the kind that makes your stomach churn and your chest ache and steals sleep.
Actually I come from a long line of worriers. My Mom and Jon's Mom was masters at it.
You can call it fear or anxiety but let's be honest. It is plain garden variety worry. It asks the question, what if .... or how will I....
I am so good at this that with very little effort I can worry myself into financial ruin, abandonment or a body that weighs 300 pounds.( those are my current 'demons'). Laugh all you want, but left unchecked that is how it 'feels' to me.
But that is just the problem- how it feels!
How does it get that way? It is the result of my untamed rebel thoughts running wild.
Instead Jesus calls me to consider, think about, reason with Him. Consider what? My Sovereign God is near and cares and provides for me 24/7.
Exhibit A - The birds of the air . They don't plant or harvest or store in barns but they don't go hungry for God feeds them.
Exhibit B - The flowers - They don't sew their garments yet they are more beautifully 'dressed' than the richest model. God clothes them.
Worry = little faith
Opposite- Mature faith which is a confident trust in a Sovereign God. It is the result of reasoning in light of the truth that God provides. Notice it is not the result of feelings. It is standing on God's reveals truth in the face of unknowns.
Limiting my thoughts limits my out of control feelings!
Stop
Think God's thoughts
Find joy
Discover peace that keeps guard over your heart and mind.
Good bye stomach churning, chest ache and insomnia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home