Mother Mary Says

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Two are better

Have you ever bitten off more than you can chew? Well, not only in eating, but in a project? That was me yesterday. I am so glad that no one was there with a camera. I was dirty from head to foot, literally. I have dirt in my sox and even my underwear. I also sported a mustache of soil. It all began with the hurricane in the south. That raised the cost of heating oil, so Jon decided to buy a cord of seasoned Almond. They are going to deliver it tomorrow and we needed to make room for it in the back patio. Jon had not made much progress so I decided to help out after he went to work. I drug the plant clippings out to the 'green can' and then returned for the non -producing rose bush. I had done all I could to forestall it's demise but it had not cooperated so we decided to eliminate it. It is a tree rose and has much dead wood and it so unhappy .
I dragged it, in it's pot to the back garage door. It sure was heavy. I wondered how I would get it up into the can. I pulled it out of the pot and thought that would lighten the load but it did not make much difference. Next I set up the ladder. I am not kidding. My plan- walk the tree rose up the ladder to the same level as the can and push it in. Brilliant, huh? Well, not really because as you can guess, while I did walk it up the ladder to the correct level, I could not push it in, try as I might.
I dropped it to the floor and get a second bright idea. Chop at the roots with the hoe. So chop I did, with dirt flying in every direction. I paused to think about the terrible mess I would now have to clear up in the garage. Then I turned back to my job, sure I had it all figured out.
About that time I saw my elderly neighbor coming across the street using her cane to steady her and holding a paper. I wondered if she had gotten some mail of mine. As she drew closer, she had a wide eyed look on her face.
"What are you doing?"
" I am trying to get this in my green can. It is very heavy and I tried to walk it up the ladder but it was too heavy. Now I can chopping the roots in hopes I can shove it in."
" Do you need help? I could help you push it in"
"No, I don't want you to hurt yourself".
Not to be deterred, she drew closer still and indicated she was serious. I took her up on it and in a moment we had it deposited nicely in the can. Only one other problem. The trunk stood up high and we could not close the lid of the can.
She slowly shuffled across the street and returned with her hand saw and you should have seen her saw that trunk off with ease! I now was the one wide eyed.
We both laughed looking at the mess on the floor and the mess on me. She is the one who pointed out my mustache.
All I could say was" Girls rule!"
She ambled on home and I know she was laughing to herself all the way.
King Solomon said that two are better than one because they have a good return for their labor. If one falls, the other can pick them up. Pity the one who falls and has no one to pick him( her) up. God never meant for us to live life alone. Solomon went on to say that a cord of three strands is not quickly broken. God, me and my gardening friend. He was right as usual.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, while you were up to your eyebrows in dirt and woodchips, MR and I were up to our ankles in our flooded basement, hucking boxes to the one corner that wasn't under four inches of standing water. And what did he say for all my helpful effort? "Why are you wearing your flip-flops in the middle of a flood?" (the answer: I didn't want to get my only pair of tennis shoes wet - duh!!) So, I was a part of the GIRLS RULE day too!!

    ~ R ~

     

Post a Comment

<< Home