Mother Mary Says

Saturday, September 17, 2005

Shopping

I am so glad that you were not with me the other day on a spur of the moment shopping trip. I had been out running errands and needed to get a specific item that Trader Joe's did not have.
Since I was close to O'Brien's fancy market I thought they would surely have it. It is what I would call an upscale market- fancy cheeses, lovely bakery breads, fresh produce arranged so appealingly. I browsed on the way to locate the only item I came for. I added a great salad mix, on sale, and some baby carrots. Next I decided on some pasta,since I was almost out at home. The cereal aisle had the cereal Jon likes on sale so I added that to my basket.
When I finally located the rice cakes ( Jon is on a new diet and must cut his fat and sugar levels and elevate the whole grains) they did not have what I was looking for. I had seen caramel and apple-cinnamon at Raley's the other day when I got the chocolate ones( which are great by the way). What to do? I did not want what they had but was too tired to stop anywhere else. Besides, I had the other things in my basket now!
Right there in the rice cake aisle, I have a talk with myself and said to myself, 'Don't get what you don't want.'
Good advice if I do say so myself.
What happened next would have embarrassed you to say the least. No, I did not abandon the basket with items in it, but retraced my steps and returned each item to it's proper place! Then I quickly left the store and felt so good about not doing what I really did not want to do!!!!
On the way home, I thought about how this was a blog in the making( a sure sign that you are addicted to blogging) but until now did not see the lesson. I see that when you know what the right thing to do is, do it at all cost, even embarrassment. When that still small voice says,' You don't want to do that', listen and follow through. Sure saves trouble later. You don't end up with something you never intended to have- the consequences of ignoring your conscience.
Oh, I did stop at Raleys' and got the rice cakes I had seen there earlier in the week . So all's well that ends well.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:14 PM, Blogger bob said…

    cheers, mother, cheers! that was braver than i can put words to (excuse the poor grammar).

     
  • At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That store is dangerous!!! Dangerous, I say!

    M.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home