Mother Mary Says

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Could be me

As I watch the events in New Orleans, I see the best and the worst of people. The best is the self-sacrifice of people for the refugees. Folks opening their hearts and homes. A nation ready to give financially where it's needed and not complain if gas costs $3.00 since they actually have a car to drive and money to buy the gas.
But we are also seeing the worst in man. Looting, rape, shooting, and more.
We are never more self-righteous than when we see things like this and say " I would never do THAT."
My Father had many sayings but two related ones he said so often they still sticks in my head after all these years:
"I grieved that I had no shoes until I saw a man who had no feet."
The corollary is:
"There but for the grace of God go I."
What does that mean?
First off, grace defined is getting what you do not deserve. In the case of spiritual things, that refers to redemption and forgiveness because of Jesus' substitutionary death for us. Life instead of spiritual death. What else does grace do? It changes me, daily conforms me to the image of Christ. That is, makes me loving, joyful, peaceful, patient, kind, good, gentle, faithful and self-controlled.
So, without God's grace any of us is capable of any heinous act. Any of us. Without Christ, even the very best we do is like 'filthy rags' and you do NOT want me to define that for you, trust me.
So as you watch the news and see this inhumanity to man, remember that 'there but for the grace of God goes YOU!'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home