Mother Mary Says

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Liar, Liar

'Liar, Liar, pants on fire', little children say. I am not sure where that ever got started. But lying seems to be second nature to us all. We even grade lies into 'little white lies' as opposed to other lies.
We chose not to lie to our kids about the existence of the 'Easter Bunny'. First off, what bunny lays eggs? None that I know of. Secondly, there is not way that this 'Easter Bunny' goes around delivering baskets of goodies like Santa. We never lied to our girls because we knew that eventually they would come to the realization that the Easter bunny was a figment of their imagination fostered by their parents. Then they would always question what we told me, seeing us as liars.
The whole Christian faith is based on the resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth. If Christ was not raised from the dead, my faith is useless. Further, I am still in my sinful , broken life with no hope of change. No healing of memories, no forgiveness for my self-centered life. I am to be most pitied because my only life is here and now, with it's painful moments, dark days and finally death. I would have believed a lie and the result would be much worse that the disappointment of a child on discovering the' Easter Bunny' falsehood.
But there is so much evidence to back up the resurrection. The four gospels are eyewitness accounts. That would be hard to pull off if it was a lie. They were speaking to those who could have taken a 15 minute walk to the tomb and disproved their testimony if it was a lie. Surely the Jewish leaders interviewed those who spoke of seeing the resurrected Jesus and would have put a stop to those reports if they were lies. Finally, those disciples each died a martyr's death. Would they have done that for what they knew was a lie? No Way! They died for their faith in an empty tomb and the multiple appearances of the resurrected Christ.
No, my faith goes with the evidence, not contrary to it. It's not a lie. Count on it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home