Mother Mary Says

Monday, June 05, 2006

What do I know?

As I have pondered my life with my brother, I realize there are many things I did not know about him.
I remember he was a big Dave Brubeck fan when he was in college and of classical music, too.
I know some of the things he read- like the Tony Hillerman books which we shared. In fact, he finished the last one while on his recent trip to the Grand Canyon which is set in that location.
I know he loved gardening like I do.
He loved 'his' hummingbirds and I have visions of him cooking up the nectar like he nutty professor.
He was awed by the creation around him, whether it was the majesty of the stars or the squirrels in his backyard.
He had a special tenderness for the mushers and their dogs in the Iditarod.
Like me, he loved stories of people who succeeded against great odds.
To the embarrassment of my family, like my brother, I wash out plastic bags and reuse them.
He liked to line up tea teas boxed just so and fill the dishwasher in a specific way.
But what was his favorite color? What were his dreams for the future, his fears in the dark of night, his feelings those last moments of life? These things, and many more, I do not know, but now wish I did.
As I wrote this I thought about a song we sing often about our relationship with God:
He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He sees each tear that falls
And hears me when I call.
There is not one thing that God does not know about me. That is a comfort.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home