Mother Mary Says

Monday, October 03, 2005

Brain fade

I think that I had brain fade on Saturday morning. It was kind of like having sand drain out of your shoe.
I read this verse:
Starting a quarrel is like breaching a dam. So drop the matter before a dispute breaks out. Proverbs 17:14
Wow- that is a power verse I told myself smugly. I don't struggle with quarrels.
Then I went to get ready for our day at the apple ranch with friends and some family. I was undecided about what I was going to wear. I was debating in my mind between my Levis and new blouse or my giraffe dress. Each had an advantage. I really liked my new blouse but if I have much abdominal pain the pants might be a 'pain'. On the other hand, the dress had no tight waist and was sleeveless so if it was very warm I would be cool.
My mistake was in asking Jon if he could help me make a decision. He deemed the dress 'inappropriate'.
" For you",I said. And a quarrel was brewing for sure. Why hadn't I just kept my mouth shut, either before I chose or after he gave his opinion? But no, I wanted to be right on the subject and my dander was up.
Enter that still small voice in my head- 'Drop the matter before a dispute breaks out.'
Oh, how I didn't want to drop it. I wanted to start and win the quarrel, fool that I was by then. But I took a deep breath and marched into my closet and put on a skirt and blouse which would meet both requirements and defuse the silly quarrel and thus saved spoiling a fun day.
I take no credit. As you can see I had had a brain fade and completely forgotten what I had just read. I give the credit to God who pointed out the right thing to do but left the choice to me.
We had a great day and who cared after that moment what I wore?

1 Comments:

  • At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    thank you for writing that. it reminds me not to rise to the bait that my 17 year old sets out.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home