Mother Mary Says

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Self conscious

Last night we saw an incredible program about children with progeria. It is a syndrome that causes a child to age 7 times faster, so that a 10 year old has the health problems of a 70 year old. It is very rare and there are only 30-40 known cases in the world.
In the program they followed three children, two boys and a girl. One of the boys, John, is in high school and I was so blessed to see his self esteem. Though he 'looks' like a little old man, he is a vital part of his high school and so enjoys life.
I thought about all the times I have bemoaned how I look and had a pity party. I saw myself as too fat, too thin, yucky hair, etc. I was awed at the way John was so comfortable with who he was. His parents said kids were cruel to begin with but it is obvious that the kids both love him and enjoy him. I think ,in part, because he feels so good about himself.
Man does tend to look on the outward appearance but God looks on the heart. I am going to focus more on that myself. Not obsessing on how I look and accepting how others look too, I vow to not let first impressions to keep me from getting to know others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home