Mother Mary Says

Monday, March 21, 2005

What not to wear

It all began when I was getting ready for church this weekend. My youngest grandson came in as I was putting in my earrings. He gave me 'the look'. Now if you grew up in our house, you would know what 'the look' is. It is the look Jon has when I wear something that either doesn't go together, is wrinkled ( slightly) or outdated. Then too, it may just be the he hates it.
As I reeled from 'the look' Gabriel said " Are you going to wear that?" That's usually the follow up comment to 'the look'. At this point, I re-evaluated what I was wearing. The funny thing is, what I thought was fine three minutes ago, now looked awful. And yes, I changed my clothes.
In the closet I pondered a couple of things. The first was,how did Gabriel learn this family behavior- both the words and the body language? Was it genetic or environmental? Either way, it was both irritating and humiliating to be judged and found wanting by a 12 year old!
The second thing I was thinking about was that Paul talked about what to wear too. He said that we were to take off anger, wrath, malice, slander , abusive speech and lies. Then he told us to put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness , patience, forgiveness and love. Now that is a wardrobe that no one will question.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How well we know 'the look'. And yet, it has kept us in check -- well, for the most part!! :)

    Ruth

     

Post a Comment

<< Home