Mother Mary Says

Monday, February 20, 2006

A lottery story

Years ago Ruth worked at the information booth at the mall and one of her jobs was to sell lottery tickets. On occasion I would go out and stand there to talk with her and watch the people.
One lady I observed was so sad. Not that her was sad exactly, but her story was. She had several large shopping bags from Macy's and was in line to buy a lottery ticket. She was saying under her breath:
" I just have to win something. I just do!"
Jon and I took that to mean that she needed to win back what she had spent. Talk about misplaced hope. We never heard the rest of the story but even now, years later, we still think of her frantic 'hope' that she would win.
An old hymn says,
My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus blood and righteousness. I dare not trust the sweeter frame but wholly lead on Jesus name.
I wish I had taken the time to talk to this troubled lady and introduce her to real HOPE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home