Mother Mary Says

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Not the shopper

Years ago there was a cartoon with dinosaurs. One of them always was saying " not the Mama." I have borrowed that to make my point. I am not the shopper in the family. Jon loves to shop, even if he doesn't buy anything. When the girls were teens, he would go with them to the mall to clothes shop and I would stay home. They would make a good day of it. Ruth would try on a skirt here and then purchase it and take it to try on the blouse somewhere else. Deborah would get a shirt one place and then try it on with Levi's in another store. You get the picture.
Over the years I have learned to enjoy the time with Jon shopping, especially if it is a bookstore. I can get lost in the shelves of books, even if you have to read the titles on their sides.
Since the accident, we have had a shopping frenzy. I described it in my last post. To make it even more wearing, my back is still very sore from the whiplash and at times my hip too. Getting in and out of cars has been a trial.
The last two days the weather has been so cold and damp and I would much rather have been at home with a cup of tea and my book. Then the Lord whispered that I was to think about the interests of others too, not always putting myself first, my desires, my plans, my timing. That is what Jesus did. He left the pleasures of heaven, to act on behalf of our needs and not his own. I am sure he wants me to go car shopping with Jon cheerfully, being a voice of encouragement and companionship. So off I go, being his shopping partner. Who knows, I might have a good thought or two for him along the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home